Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In her shoes ~15~

Every Tuesday I will pick a character I've read about recently, perhaps even the week before, and try putting myself in her shoes. What things would I do differently? What have I learned from her behavior? That kind of thing. You are welcome to participate if you want, just please link back, so we could build a nice community of followers. Thanks!!! :)

I am truly wondering which heroine to share today. I've only read two books in the past two weeks and the girl in one of them wasn't anything special, which makes it hard to pick the right girl. For the lack of better alternatives, I'm gonna go for Maggie from "Ghost Crown" by J. Gabriel Gates. There were more guys in there than girls, and the guys were somewhat more interesting, at least to me. But Maggie sure deserves her spot under the lights.

So, who's Maggie? She's a sophomore in Middleburg's High School. She's a cheerleader. She's dating the super star football player, Rick. But she isn't happy with either one of those things. Because:
1) Rick is more monster than human
2) She can see things that others can't
3) She can move things with her mind
4) Her former best friend (Aimee) is now dating her ex-bf (Raphael), who she still wants to be with.

To tell you the truth, I didn't like Maggie straight from the beginning. She was sort of bitchy and was driven by her jealousy of Aimee. But in the end, she had good intentions to protect Raph from disappointment and heart break. I didn't particularly love Maggie, but I totally understood where she came from.

Her mom used to be the Homecoming queen in her days, 3 years in a row. Now Maggie had to get the crown. Because it wasn't an ordinary crown. It broadened one's vision of the world, and the destiny it brought was nothing easy. It almost drove Maggie crazy, like her (mostly) looney mother. But with some help, Maggie learned that the magic she was given wasn't all that bad at all. In fact, it was good to know things the way they really were, whether they be brilliantly pure, or grotesquely evil.

I loved that Maggie's character developed through the pages, I loved that she wasn't 100% good or equally bad. I loved that she wasn't two dimensional. She had real personality, and she fought with live and what it offered her every single day.  By the end of the story, Maggie had grown to be someone others had to reckon with.

Which girl did you pick this week?


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that Maggie grew as a character. Thanks for sharing, Vanya :)

    My In Her Shoes post :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.