Monday, January 9, 2012

Top of the Pile on Monday Morning #2

It's Monday again, and what do you know - I've not only met my reading goal from last week, but I went one book over. Here's what I'm talking about:

It was a book I had to do for a R2R for a GoodReads group, and I was a little cautious at first, because let's be honest - not all indie books are worth the time. But this one was. And I'm truly glad I picked it up, because it was soooo good, I bought book 2 of the series right after I finished this one, and am planning to read it this week. The review for "A Demon Made Me Do It" is available here if you'd like to check it out.



So, obviously I'm including „Fire with Fire”, book two of the “Demonblood” series by Penelope King in this week's







"Top of the Pile on Monday Morning" is a weekly MEME hosted by Vanya D. here on YA Story Teller. It features up to three books that I plan to read for the week.


Again, I only have two items listed for this week, because sadly - I've got an exam coming up on Saturday, and I have not read more than one sentence from the lectures. Books are to blame!!!! *sigh*


Book #1:

Title: “Fire with Fire”
Series: “Demonblood”
Author: Penelope King

Summary: It's been over two months since Lucky and Liora decided their fate outside the cave. Over two months since Kieron left to finish his mission.

So why hasn't he returned?

Crushed and confused, Liora finds comfort with a mysterious stranger, a guy whose motives include more than just healing Liora's broken heart. Meanwhile, Lucky finds herself in the arms of an old friend...the one who has always laid claim to her true soul.

When the reason for Kieron's disappearance becomes known, loyalties will be tested, friends will be betrayed, loves will be lost, and hope will be found. Once and for all, Lucky and Liora will have to chose their destiny. And not everyone will survive their choice.

Why I want to read it: After reading the first installment of this series, I was so captivated by the story and the characters, that I didn't want to part with them. And since book 2 is already out, I bought it and ta-da! It's on top of my pile :))

Book #2:
Title: “Witchy, Witchy”
Series: “Spellbound”
Author: Penelope King

Summary: Life should be charmed for sixteen-year-old Calista McCoy. But being a psychic, empathic, fire-starting witch isn't all magical fun and , even if it does come with a snazzy new wardrobe and an awesome beach house in California.

Now she is a target for the deadly Hunters who seek out new, vulnerable witches. Any exposure of her magical abilities to normal humans—including her father—can have disastrous consequences for everyone. And with covens all over the world constantly fighting with one another, it's hard to know who to trust. If all that weren't bad enough, now she has to go to some snooty private school for rich kids. Not exactly a dream situation for shy girl raised in the slums of the Louisiana bayou.

Things start to look up when she meets the devastatingly gorgeous and mysterious Nicholas, and she instantly falls under his captivating spell. Calista keeps her feelings for him a secret from her new friends, and instead focuses on practicing her magical craft and adjusting to her new life.

But on the eve of the Winter Ball, it becomes clear that not all of Calista's new friends are who they appear to be…especially Nicholas. And once the thin veil between fantasy and reality is shattered, no one is safe from the evil that has snuck into their lives. Unless Calista can find a way to stop it, she and her loved ones will continue to be in mortal danger. But if she is successful, then maybe—just maybe—she can have the happily ever after she always dreamed of.

Dare to dream...



Why I want to read it: I'm simply amazed by the author's creativity and depth in world building in character formation.

If you're interested to learn more about these novels, check out Penelope King's blog  here. She's got some nice images of her characters on there, and of course a chapter or two to get you hooked ;)





Have an awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.