Thursday, October 24, 2013

Book Review: Glittering Promises by Lisa Tawn Bergren


Glittering Promises

NOTE: I received the eARC via Netgalley.

I waited very (im)patiently for Glittering Promises to come out. Now that it has, and I'm done reading it, I wish it hadn't finished so fast. I honestly can't believe that this is the end of Cora's story. I mean, it is the perfect conclusion and all, but I just... gah! I wish it had lasted longer. You know? I kind of felt like this when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. Sad, mostly. Happy too, but...

So, let's just get on with the review.

I am amazed by Bergren's writing style. It is perfectly appropriate for the historical age of which she wrote. Sometimes I was bothered by the wording she (or rather the characters) used, but hey - just because we don't talk like that now, doesn't mean they didn't talk like that back in the day. In fact, I believe that Bergren has spent many hours researching speech, manners, societal norms etc. of the early 1900s so that Cora's story would become as convincing as it is. I was swept off my feet seeing how deep in the concept of that world the author has actually ventured into.

Each character acted according to their class, their place in society, their upbringing. Sometimes individual feelings were disregarded because of parental insistence. Sometimes the characters decided to stand up to their beliefs and understanding of all things important.

Undoubtedly, the most charismatic character is Cora Diehl Kensington. She is headstrong, independent and quite firm in making her decisions. Of course, being a new person in the high society, she feels a bit misplaced sometimes, misunderstood, spoken down to or flattered simply for the reason of her inheritance. Fortunately, she isn't vain, so mostly she doesn't care. I admire that in her. Especially when Andrew Morgan continuously put her down. I loved how she was beginning to open up to her father, to understand some of his reasoning.

William (the Bear) made me a tiny bit confused, to be honest. I was left with the impression that his heart was fully devoted to Cora. But then this Italian lady crossed his path and he got distracted. I understand that he felt insecure about Cora, whether she loved him, whether she really wanted him, but allowing flirting with someone else? That was way degrading. Then again, I did not come to like Will all that much to begin with. Sometimes he felt like the right one for Cora, sometimes not.

Pierre... *sigh* My sweet romantic Frenchman disappointed me way too much. I could've never expected him to fall so low in his pursue of Cora. He was always my favorite, my hero. And to slum it so bad! What a huge misfortune! I really can't talk much about him or I'm bound to say something spoilery.

Andrew on the other hand, surprised me not. He was such a jerk! I couldn't really understand why ANYONE would ever want his company. He definitely got what he deserved, and I'm so proud of Vivian and everyone really for sticking to what was right.

In the end of the great European journey, I can only say that blood is always thicker than water. Finally, finally Cora found her place in the world, and I can only congratulate her!


My rating is 5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.